Industry Chain Overview
Display Type Technology Comparison
Short for thin film transistor, a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, in which each pixel is controlled by from one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat-panel techniques, but it is also the most expensive. TFT screens are sometimes called active-matrix LCDs.
IPS (In - Plane Switching, Plane transformation) technology was launched in 2001 by Hitachi LCD, it is commonly known as "Super TFT screen. From its name, IPS screen is the premium version based on TFT screen, but it is still TFT in essence. IPS screen display fully, bright beautiful, is the advantage of perspective can be big, can reach close to the viewing Angle of 180 °.
SLCD is the abbreviation of Splice Liquid Crystal Display, which is a kind of special splicing LCD. SLCD is a high-grade derived varieties of LCD, using one of the world's most advanced industrial LCD panel, the service life is as much as 60000 hours. SLCD is a complete splicing display unit which can be used alone as a monitor, and as a super-large screen by joint. Different from traditional LCD (e.g., DID screen), SLCD, which is a complete finished product, does not need external power-supply plate, signal driven plate or graphics boards. It can be installed as simple as building blocks. SLCD is super narrow side LCD splicing screen, the surrounded width of the edge is only 9 mm, with toughened glass cover over the surface, and intelligent temperature control circuit and a cooling fan are built-in. All series products of SLCD use the unique world's leading-edge digital processing technology and truly allow users to experience the full high and clear screen effect.
AMOLED screen is the first generation of SamSung AMOLED, which is not used much in mobile phones now.
Super AMOLED displays, announced in January 2010, are AMOLED displays with an integrated touch function. In a Super AMOLED display, a touch-sensor is placed over the display (on-cell). The thickness of the touch sensor is just 0.001 mm and this allows the screen to provide better images and to have great visibility even in direct sunlight.
Super AMOLED Plus
Although AMOLED and Super AMOLED perform very well, the picture of both looks grainy obvious and the text edge will be a slight burrs because they both adopted PenTile Matrix arrangement, the performance in detail is not perfect. The Super AMOLED Plus effectively solved the problem by changing Super AMOLED arrangement into the common RGB matrix configuration arrangement and adding the DNIe + image processing engine, which make the number of each pixel increase by 50% and the image be more clear and detailed, and color saturation, smooth and contrast increase in certain degree.
Super AMOLED vs AMOLED vs IPS vs SLCD vs TFT
- > Better than, ~ Equal to
- Color Brightness: super AMOLED > AMOLED~IPS>SLCD>TFT
- Color Plumpness: super AMOLED~IPS>AMOLED>SLCD>TFT
- Contrast: IPS~SLCD>super AMOLED>AMOLED>TFT
- View Angle: super AMOLED>IPS>SLCD~AMOLED>TFT
- Display Smoothness: super AMOLED～IPS>AMOLED>SLCD>TFT
- Display Resolution in the sun: super AMOLED>AMOLED>IPS>SLCD>TFT
- Color Reduction: IPS>super AMOLED>AMOLED~SLCD>TFT
- Color Softness: IPS~SLCD>super AMOLED>AMOLED>TFT
- Power Saving: super AMOLED~AMOLED>SLCD>IPS~TFT
- View Comfort: IPS~SLCD>super AMOLED>AMOLED>TFT
Actual Display Effects: IPS vs TFT vs Super AMOLED Plus vs SLCD
- iPhone 4s: IPS display
- Sony LT22i: TFT display
- SamSung I9100: Super AMOLED Plus
- HTC One X: SLCD display
- Brightness Contrast
- Super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > IPS (iPhone4S) > SLCD (HTC ONE X) > TFT (Sony LT22i)
- Gray-scale contrast
- TFT (Sony LT22i) > Super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) ~ SLCD (HTC ONE X) > IPS (iPhone4S)
- Gray-scale gradual contrast
- TFT (Sony LT22i) > IPS (iPhone4S) > super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) ~ SLCD (HTC ONE X)
- Color gradual reduction
- super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > IPS (iPhone4S) ~ SLCD (HTC ONE X) > TFT (Sony LT22i)
- Color gradation test
- IPS (iPhone4S) ~ SLCD (HTC ONE X) > super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > TFT (Sony LT22i)
- Color reduction
- super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > IPS (iPhone4S) > TFT (Sony LT22i) > SLCD (HTC ONE X)
- Color saturation
- super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > TFT (Sony LT22i) ~ SLCD (HTC ONE X) > IPS (iPhone4S)
- 45°display effect
- super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > TFT (Sony LT22i) > IPS (iPhone4S) > SLCD (HTC ONE X)
- In strong light
- super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > IPS (iPhone4S) > SLCD (HTC ONE X) > TFT (Sony LT22i)
- In dark light
- FT (Sony LT22i) > super AMOLED (SamSung i9100) > SLCD (HTC ONE X) > IPS (iPhone4S)